My art in a magazine

Posted on December 27, 2013
Filed under Book reviews, Events & news, Just for writers, My artwork | 11 Comments | Email This Post

Your art is what you do when no one can tell you exactly how to do it. Your art is the act of taking personal responsibility, challenging the status quo, and changing people.” — Seth Godin

DSCN4958I’ve been publishing my essays and articles since I was in college, yet I still get that little thrill each time I see my byline in a glossy magazine or a newspaper. Until this year, though, I didn’t have the nerve to submit my artwork to publishers — so I was honored when two of my pieces were chosen to illustrate the Rust Belt Rising Almanac this spring.

DSCN4954

Another exciting “first” for me: getting my work published in Cloth, Paper, Scissors, a full-color national magazine for mixed-media and collage artists.

The January/February 2014 issue of CPS includes my essay on struggling to call myself an “artist” — a theme that speaks to writers and artists alike. My essay is illustrated with a full-page color photo of “The Importance of Ancestors,” a mixed-media piece of mine that’s been displayed in juried art competitions in Michigan. You’ll find the magazine at Michaels craft stores or Barnes & Noble, in the art magazine section.

TO SEE MORE OF MY MIXED-MEDIA ARTWORK, PLEASE VISIT MY new ONLINE GALLERY

Comments

11 Responses to “My art in a magazine”

1. jill m. mackie on December 28th, 2013 8:19 pm

Congratulations Cindy!! Be proud . . .

2. Cindy La Ferle on December 29th, 2013 10:56 am

Jill, so nice to hear from you. Drop me an email sometime (you can reach me through the message option on this blog) and let me know how YOU are!! Thanks for your comment, too. Happy New Year!

3. Lynne on December 29th, 2013 8:47 pm

Congrats, Cindy! I will have to grab a copy of this magazine!!

4. Cheryl Wright on December 30th, 2013 11:24 am

Congratulations Cindy.

5. Mary Benedetto on December 30th, 2013 2:01 pm

Congratulations, Cindy! How exciting!

6. Samantha Pattison on December 30th, 2013 5:23 pm

So excited for you Cindy! You are a true artist in do many fields :)

7. Samantha Pattison on December 30th, 2013 5:24 pm

That is so many fields!

8. Kim on January 3rd, 2014 1:27 pm

I loved the project that was shown in this artilce…do you have a place with #1 what you used to create it and #2 anything else you have created…would love to see more!

9. Cindy La Ferle on January 3rd, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi Kim — Thanks for asking about the piece shown in the article. I don’t have a how-to piece on that, but will consider working on one. If you check the “Categories” section of this blog, click on “My Artwork” and you’ll find a few tutorials on other projects. Thanks again!

10. Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs on February 4th, 2014 10:28 am

Congratulations! Much deserved! Your art — no matter the medium — touches the heart. Kudos to you, Cindy.

11. Cindy La Ferle on February 4th, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks so much, Lisa — so nice of you to comment. I have been enjoyed your blog, too.