Feeling the fall

Posted on October 19, 2011
Filed under Poems to inspire | 9 Comments | Email This Post

There is no season when such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on, and produce so pleasant an effect on the feelings, as now in October.” –Nathaniel Hawthorne

Maybe it’s a symptom of middle age, or maybe it’s just my old Celtic soul stirring up a seasonal memory.

Either way, late October always tugs on my sleeve and insists that I slow down to take stock of the passing year. Despite the “worries of the week” — or whatever I’ve chosen to focus on — Mother Nature reminds me that life is all about cycles. Some seasons flow more easily than others, but I have many reasons to be grateful for every one I’m given.

Last week, when I looked down over the ravine that dips toward the river behind our home in St. Joseph, I remembered an excerpt from this poem by Billy Collins:

Directions

The best time is late afternoon
when the sun strobes through
the columns of trees as you are hiking up,
and when you find an agreeable rock
to sit on, you will be able to see
the light pouring down into the woods
and breaking into the shapes and tones
of things, and you will hear nothing
but a sprig of birdsong or the leafy
falling of a cone or nut through the trees,
and if this is your day you might even
spot a hare or feel the wing-beats of geese
driving overhead toward some destination.

But it is hard to speak of these things —
how the voices of light enter the body
and begin to recite their stories;
how the earth holds us painfully against
its breast made of humus and brambles;
how we who will soon be gone regard
the entities that continue to return
greener than ever, spring water flowing
through a meadow and the shadows of clouds
passing over the hills and the ground
where we stand in the tremble of thought
taking the vast outside into ourselves.

—Billy Collins, excerpted from The Art of Drowning

Comments

9 Responses to “Feeling the fall”

1. momma on October 19th, 2011 6:36 pm

A wonderful and thought provoking poem Cindy. Thanks for printing it.

2. starrlife on October 19th, 2011 9:09 pm

Lovely, evocative…. be well Cindy.

3. Cafe Pasadena on October 20th, 2011 2:40 am

I luv the Billy Collins excerpt. And your foto looks familiar to one of my own!

4. Cindy on October 20th, 2011 7:37 am

Cafe — The photo was taken on our property, and that’s the St. Joseph River in the background. I need to come visit you soon!

5. Anne Osmer on October 22nd, 2011 3:54 pm

Beautiful. I am at my sister’s cottage in Macatawa, looking out at Lake Michigan and the fall colors. The poem fit my experience well. I even took a short hike today! Thanks for sharing it.

6. joanna jenkins on October 22nd, 2011 11:12 pm

Beautiful poem Cindy– It makes me a bit homesick for Ohio.

On another subject– I just saw “Ides of March” and thought of you. This was the George Clooney film you worked on right? Did you see yourself on screen?

xo jj

7. Cindy on October 23rd, 2011 8:28 am

Thank you, Joanna! And yes, that was one of the films I worked on, but I haven’t seen it yet. Doug and I were in one of the campaign scenes, near the stage — but not sure if we show up or not. We do show up in “Machine Gun Preacher” with Gerard Butler, which seems to be showing in the indie/art film theaters. Thanks for asking!

8. Sharon on October 25th, 2011 10:39 am

This year especially I have heard people say that autumn is their favorite season. I think it’s due to many of the things in this poem ~ things easier to describe than to list.

We just saw “Ides of March” and thought it was great. I’m sorry I didn’t know to look for you.

9. deb on October 26th, 2011 8:52 pm

stunning.
    I find autumn bittersweet but the light , oh the light…