Wild things

Posted on July 2, 2010
Filed under Events & news | 11 Comments | Email This Post

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.”  ~Albert Einstein

I’m always tickled when my essays are chosen for new story collections. Released this summer, Jennifer Bove’s Wild with Child: Adventures of Families in the Great Outdoors, includes a piece I wrote about surviving Cub Scout camp when my son was a kid.

Don’t let another summer weekend go by without spending quality time outdoors. Unplug your gadgets for a few days and reconnect with Mother Nature. Pitch a tent, swim in a river, feel the grass on your bare feet, cook dinner on an open fire, and make your own family memories under the stars.  –CL

Comments

11 Responses to “Wild things”

1. joanna jenkins on July 2nd, 2010 6:03 pm

Congratulations Cindy on having your story included in this book. Very cool.

Next weekend I’ll be in Ohio with godson and we already have a campfire on the agenda– Hot dogs and s’mores are on the menu. A river walk and a horse show are on the agenda too. Unplugging in the summer is the best!

Hope you have a great july 4th weekend.
    xo jj

2. Sharon on July 2nd, 2010 6:46 pm

When our kids were younger we took them “real” camping ~ tent for sleeping, campfire for cooking, and cards for entertainment. We had such fun! This summer my husband and I are beginning a landscaping project that will go on for years. We sure do sleep good after a day of shoveling, hauling, turning over, and planting. Think of me, Cindy, as you enjoy your beautiful gardens. I will get there someday. Happy July!

3. cindy on July 3rd, 2010 7:00 am

Congrats on the reprint. Always a joy;-) And you are so right about being outside. I might even write outdoors today.

4. Mary Ellen on July 4th, 2010 11:52 am

Congratulations on the reprint! I pulled Writing Home off the shelf and reread your sweet story this morning. I bet you wonder where the years have gone since your son was a little boy!

5. Debra Darvick on July 6th, 2010 6:37 am

Congratulations, Cindy! I loved that essay. So will Jennifer Bove’s readers. Brava! I’ve been having scoops and scoops of the great outdoors here in Eureka Springs, no camping however…..Nature truly restores us.

6. Joni Golden on July 6th, 2010 12:05 pm

That’s awesome Cindy – congratulations! Thanks for the reminder to unplug, although today, I think I might plug into a book inside, with the air conditioning…

7. Kathleen Scott on July 6th, 2010 9:36 pm

Congratulations, Cindy!

And I second the advice to go outdoors. No better source of peace than the beauty of nature.

8. Cindy La Ferle on July 6th, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks so much, everyone — and so good to hear from all of you!

I hope you’re all having a wonderful summer so far. Sorry I have been out of touch. Our summer here has been off to a rough start, due in part to the death of my father-in-law (see previous post). I’ve also been working a lot of hours (at least one booking per week) as a background extra in films, and haven’t been spending as much time online.

9. Stacy Post on July 7th, 2010 2:14 pm

Congrats, Cindy! Be sure to celebrate!

We spend a lot of time outside in the summer, unless the humidity is palpable. Bike rides, hiking and picnics. Nothing beats a firefly show at dusk. I try to appreciate it when I can. Great post!

10. Angie Muresan on July 9th, 2010 11:55 pm

That is so very cool, Cindy. Congratulations!

11. Jennifer Bove on July 24th, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks for the plug, Cindy – and thanks a million tomes more for being a part of the book. You are a true inspiration to me!