“Wild Geese”

Posted on May 13, 2010
Filed under Events & news, Poems to inspire | 9 Comments | Email This Post

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination.” — Mary Oliver

Sunset1“Wild Geese” is another favorite by our old friend Mary Oliver, whose Pulitzer Prize-winning poetry we’ve explored in previous posts. Listening to Anne Lamott’s Word by Word, an audio CD on creative writing, I learned that Lamott posted this poem near her desk — and advises all writers and artists to do the same.

“Wild Geese” touched a tender place in my soul. Like so many friends of mine, I was taught as a child to obey the edicts of the organized religion my family practiced. I was terrified of making mistakes — and terrified of disappointing a punitive, unforgiving God. (Not to mention disappointing my parents and teachers.) No matter how “good” I was, or how closely I followed the rules and colored within the lines, I still felt unworthy. A nasty inner critic took up residence inside my head, too, sitting right next to the punitive God.

Today, I follow a strong code of ethics and my own faith, but no longer allow fear to constrict my life or narrow my view. As Mary Oliver reminds me, we were all made to shine our creative light, and to dance freely in this gorgeous world of ours. — CL

Wild Geese
By Mary Oliver

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting–
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

— Reprinted from Owls and Other Fantasies, by Mary Oliver; Beacon Press; 2003.

Comments

9 Responses to ““Wild Geese””

1. Joanne on May 13th, 2010 7:33 pm

Beautiful. Oliver’s words cut right through the edicts of religion straight to the heart of faith, to the intent, it seems.

2. Bridgette on May 13th, 2010 10:18 pm

This really makes me stop and ponder my beliefs. Thank you.

3. Mary Ellen on May 14th, 2010 5:58 am

This is a season of sadness for me because of the death of my beloved brother. I have been walking the Paint Creek Trail watching the trees and flowers wake up. The world goes on. A welcome poem this morning Cindy, thank you!

4. deb on May 14th, 2010 10:01 am

I love that we love some of the same things.
    This poem is one of those things you need to print out and clutch to the heart.

5. Cindy La Ferle on May 14th, 2010 10:07 am

Mary Ellen, I am so very sorry to learn about your brother’s death. My heart and sympathies go out to you, and prayers for healing. I am glad the poem is of some comfort. –Cindy L.

6. joanna jenkins on May 14th, 2010 10:53 am

These are really wonderful words to live by. I did not know this poem before now but it one that I will pass onto loved ones.
    Thanks,
    jj

7. Marlynn on May 14th, 2010 1:13 pm

Cindy, Love the poem and I have to admit I was not familiar with it. I am “having to read” a management book called, “Good to Great,” by Jim Collins, and it is growing on me. He states, “Life is unfair–sometimes to our advantage, sometimes to our disadvantage. We will all experience disappointments and crushing events somewhere along the way, setbacks for which there is no ‘reason,’ no one to blame. . .What separates people, Stockdale taught me, is not the presence or absence of difficulty, but how they deal with the inevitable difficulities of life. . .you must retain faith that you will prevail in the end. ..” I guess what I am trying to say is that no matter what happens, as the poem states, “the world offers itself to your imagination. . .” and you can become stronger not weaker as you fly with the wild geese-which is a beautiful thing.

8. Sharon on May 15th, 2010 7:48 am

The first line has been in my head all week, but I haven’t stopped long enough to read the entire poem, one of my favorites by Oliver. You have great insight, Cindy, and your comments are right on. I learned of this poem years ago when a friend handed me a copy when I going through a rough patch. The words still ring true.

9. Jan on May 18th, 2010 8:12 pm

Cindy, thank you for posting this lovely reminder for us to fly free…to follow our heart and sou’s calling. I am glad that you follow yours, truly! And though a solitary path is not easy, it has great benefits, one of which is true creativity because we are honoring our deep places. Like Sharon, the first line is so haunting yet inspiring. May we all fly…