Exciting days ahead!

Posted on September 14, 2012
Filed under Columns & essays, Events & news | 21 Comments | Email This Post

Autumn is coming with its days of gold, its days of reverie and of you—oh, such delightful hours that my heart burns within me at the anticipation.”~Byron Caldwell Smith, in a letter to Kate Stephens

Autumn is a time of intense beauty and change — one of my favorite seasons. This September, in particular, will be a milestone for our family. Nate and Andrea are getting married at the end of this month, and we’re all shifting into high gear for the busy weeks ahead.

There are so many details in need of attention. Though I don’t have half the responsibilities of the bride’s mother, I have a list of things to do. Doug and I will soon finalize the flowers and our menu for the rehearsal dinner, for starters, and I’ll be selecting music for the bagpiper who’ll pipe us out of the church after the wedding ceremony. I also need to schedule my mother for a fancy hairdo and a manicure — in addition scheduling to my own.

In the midst of it all, my mother’s dementia is progressing. More changes to consider. While I was on a short vacation in Glen Arbor this week, I got three phone messages from the assisted living residence where Mom is staying. Apparently Mom had a series of anxiety attacks and wanted me to return home to take her to the hospital. Luckily, the nurse was able to get the attacks under control — and I was able to stay in northern Michigan for another two days.

All of this is a long way of explaining why I won’t be blogging or visiting Facebook as often as usual. For now, I’m focusing my attention on becoming part of a wonderful new family and gaining the dearest daughter-in-law ever.

Lately I’ve felt compelled to step back and take a deep breath; to savor it all privately. I want to pull down the old photo albums that documented the whirlwind days and years that brought us to this moment, then exhale a silent prayer of thanks. And in the days ahead, I look forward to gathering again with longtime friends, dear neighbors, and family members who’ve watched Nate and Andrea grow up and shared so many rich memories with us.

A son’s wedding is one of life’s most beautiful changes …. and I’m unable to put my feelings into words just yet. Wishing all of you a lovely fall season! — Cindy La Ferle

Comments

21 Responses to “Exciting days ahead!”

1. Pam Houghton on September 14th, 2012 12:30 pm

Enjoy every moment, Cindy!

2. Cindy on September 14th, 2012 2:25 pm

Thank you, Pam! We’re very excited, and it’s hard to believe the wedding is barely two weeks away! You will have this to look forward to as well, when your kids are a bit older. It’s a lovely time to be a parent :-)

3. Harriet on September 14th, 2012 2:41 pm

Cindy, I look forward to reading your words about the change in your family. The circle is growing, enjoy each and every moment treasure it and hold it dear. To Nat and Andrea my best wishes for life as you imagine it to be.

4. Cindy on September 14th, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks, Harriet! It’s going to take me a while to digest it all.

5. Debra Darvick on September 16th, 2012 5:09 am

Congratulations to you all. Savor every minute. Farmers can’t be harvesting all the time any more than writers can write all the time. Be in the moment and enjoy.

6. Sharon on September 16th, 2012 8:32 am

Live it as it happens and then enjoy it all again through stories and photos. This type of event is different for each family, and it sounds like you are in a wonderful situation. All the best to the happy couple ~

7. Cindy on September 16th, 2012 8:35 am

Thank you, Debra … This fall will bring changes to my creative life too. More art than writing. After the wedding, I shift the balance and look forward to it!

8. Cindy on September 16th, 2012 8:37 am

Sharon, thank you. We’re very excited. We love Andrea and her family — so making things “official” is a great celebration. Watching my relationship change with my mother has been a poignant contrast to becoming a mother-in-law and watching my son start his own family. We all live the circle of life.

9. Marlynn on September 16th, 2012 9:05 am

Yes, enjoy and savor the days ahead. Happiness fills my heart for you and your beautiful journey the next few weeks! Hugs.

10. Lynne on September 16th, 2012 9:09 am

Enjoy every moment, Cindy. God bless for you and your families during this wonderful time :-)

11. Jan Smith on September 16th, 2012 7:52 pm

Some emotions are just too big for words. I used to wonder why people cried at weddings even though they were happy. Now I know. The journey we make to get to these special milestones is a big part of the event. It can be overwhelming. Try to enjoy each moment as it comes.

12. Bridgette on September 16th, 2012 9:10 pm

You word it so perfectly, enjoy :)

13. Only the Half of It on September 16th, 2012 9:25 pm

Amen, Cindy. Savor every moment.
    I’ll be looking forward some photos eventually as I’m sure it will be a classy and beautiful affair.
    :-)

14. Momma on September 17th, 2012 3:50 pm

Wishing the young couple an exciting and happy life and you and You and Doug the same.

15. cindy on September 18th, 2012 11:41 am

Savor this time, this REAL time:) Lovely post, Cindy!

16. cindy on September 18th, 2012 11:47 am

So sorry about your Mom. It must be difficult that she is going to be “here” for the wedding but not really “here” — Hope it is one of her good days.

17. Cindy on September 18th, 2012 12:30 pm

Cindy Harrison — thanks for thinking of my mom. You’re SO right… the bittersweet part of all this is that my dad is no longer with us, and my mom is fading out of reality. I so wish I could fully share this moment with them, but I think my mom still “gets” that Nate is getting married, and my dad is always with me in spirit. I have hired a bagpiper to play at the end of the wedding ceremony, in honor of my dad and our Scottish family who’ve passed on.

18. joanna jenkins on September 18th, 2012 4:18 pm

Oh Cindy– The wedding is nearly here! There is always so many last minute things to take care of but I hope you can take time to just step back and take it all in. It’s so special and exciting. I’m happy for you all.

And I’m thrilled to hear your mother will be attending as well. That made me smile. I know how difficult things have been for and with her and I’m cheering you on as always.

I’ll be watching for the gorgeous wedding photos and news about the big event. Until then ENJOY!

xo jj

19. Cindy on September 18th, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks for all these good wishes — I am touched!

20. Angie Muresan on September 27th, 2012 11:58 pm

Cindy, this must be such a happy time in your family. I wish the young couple a lifetime of happiness and love.

21. Cindy on September 28th, 2012 8:21 am

Thank you, Angie! We’re enjoying every minute!