Home Office on Facebook

Posted on July 16, 2012
Filed under Events & news, Just for writers | 13 Comments | Email This Post

It’s no secret that I’ve been conflicted about Facebook for years. The dilemma, in a nutshell: How can I avoid annoying my family/close friends with work-related status updates? And how can I avoid “over-sharing” personal or family updates with my colleagues and students? In other words, the way I see it, the same people who want news about my published stories or writing workshops don’t necessarily want updates on how my mother’s pacemaker is working.

I suppose I could fiddle with all kinds of privacy settings to control my Facebook content. But I found a more creative — and democratic — way to settle the whole issue without hurting folks or making a social-media mess of things.

This week I launched a brand-new Facebook “author page” titled Cindy La Ferle’s Home Office and Blog. This one will feature daily creativity quotes, links to posts on this blog, my own photography and artwork, fresh inspiration for creative people, updates on my workshops, and other local or national resources you’ll want to know about. And when it’s time to announce my next book, that’s where I’ll share the news first.

I’m having a blast launching the new page! Serving as a bridge to this blog, it’s also a fantastic way to stay in touch with students who’ve taken my workshops. And I always enjoy hearing from people who enjoy the written word as much as I do.

Please join me at Cindy La Ferle’s Home Office on Facebook. Once you “like” the new page, you’ll get my updates and a daily dose of creative inspiration in your Facebook feed. — Cindy La Ferle

Comments

13 Responses to “Home Office on Facebook”

1. cindy on July 16th, 2012 11:19 am

Such a great idea, Cindy! I need to do something along those lines as well. I keep thinking if I add a fan page, no one will show up, lol. 100 people already is quite an impressive number:)

2. Cindy on July 16th, 2012 11:20 am

Cindy H — you’d have LOTS of fans with your new book, Paris Notebook, I am sure! It’s a great way to connect with other book lovers.

3. jill m. mackie on July 20th, 2012 12:14 pm

FIRST of all you are never an annoyance; whoever says you are ‘bring ‘em on’. LOL

4. Cindy on July 20th, 2012 12:18 pm

Bless you, Jill — and many thanks! ;-)

5. Bridgette on July 20th, 2012 2:32 pm

Love your new facebook page….sheer genius!

6. Cindy on July 20th, 2012 2:38 pm

Why thank you, Bridgette! I’ve had to spend an inordinate amount of time there, to get it launched… but I am enjoying the heck out of the conversations there. (I can see where FB is quicker and more convenient than blogging for conversations.)

7. joanna jenkins on July 21st, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Cindy– You are GOOD! I can’t manage one Facebook page let alone two– But it really makes sense in your case. Congrats on making the change.
    Hope you are enjoying the summer and your Mom is doing well. And how are the wedding plans?
    xo jj

8. Cindy on July 21st, 2012 7:30 pm

Joanna,
    So nice to hear from you — thank you! Actually, I still plan to maintain an easy pace with both pages. As a rule, I’m not one to post more than one (or two) FB updates per day, so it’s not that time-consuming. I will probably spend more time on the author page than on the personal page, for the first month or so. There is SUCH great conversation going on there now — I am so enjoying it! I’m finding that I prefer using Facebook more for professional reasons than personal reasons.
    Thanks for asking about my mother. She continues to decline, and we are preparing to take her for surgery to adjust her pacemaker. It is much easier to have her in assisted living, but I am still called fairly often to advocate for her, or to help solve problems she is having at the new residence. The adjustment has not been easy!

Meanwhile, the wedding plans are proceeding nicely, with the big family shower — the first of the wedding events — coming up next weekend. :-)

9. jill m. mackie on July 22nd, 2012 8:35 pm

I will share what I tried accomplishing this summer; involves you. When my son Erik was in high school his English teachers said to me ‘please make sure he continues writing’ . . . He didn’t share with his parents of course but his teachers were amazed. Well I do live in VA now and Erik lives in MI; I tried to the best of my ability to get him to your workshop. My parenting skills sure didn’t work long distance; now I’m doubting if they ever worked. I just wanted you know I definitely would have been at your workshop had I still lived in MI; with Erik in ‘tow’. lol Keep up the great work that you do!! :-)

10. Cindy on July 22nd, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks so much, Jill. Your son will find a way to keep writing if it’s in his heart — but gentle encouragement helps!

11. Angie Muresan on July 24th, 2012 12:35 am

Wow, Cindy! What a great idea to stay connected. Looking forward to keeping in touch that way. Wishing you a beautiful week!

12. Karen Lankin on August 9th, 2012 12:47 pm

You simply continue to inspire me. Thanks for all you do!

13. Cindy on August 9th, 2012 12:55 pm

Karen — what a nice compliment. I really appreciate your kind words! :-)