The book of 2012

Posted on January 1, 2012
Filed under Events & news, My artwork | 8 Comments | Email This Post

We will open the book.  Its pages are blank.  We are going to put words on them ourselves.  The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.  ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

I’m always cheered by the thought of a new year and another chance to start over. Blank pages used to scare me, but I welcome them now.

Last year brought incredible challenges involving my widowed mother’s healthcare, leaving me little time or energy to devote to writing projects. At the end of the day, sometimes, I would head up to the art studio to work on collages, greeting cards, or mixed-media constructions.

In the process, I learned that making art both relaxed and uplifted me — and appealed to a part of my soul that writing never could. Of course, I will always write, one way or another, but right now I’m excited about the possibility of projects that combine illustration with text. I want to push beyond the creative goals I set for myself years ago. It’s time to begin again.

I hope your new year is off to a great start, and that you’re excited by creative possibilities and dreams. I hope you find what makes your heart want to sing, or dance, or paint, or draw, or write. — Cindy La Ferle

–Original greeting card collage by Cindy La Ferle–

Comments

8 Responses to “The book of 2012”

1. Sharon on January 1st, 2012 10:41 am

Cindy, happy new year. May the possibilities to begin again be endless ~

2. Bridgette on January 1st, 2012 8:30 pm

We will open the book, it’s pages will be blank….now THAT is powerful!
    Happy New Year my friend, I can’t wait to see what’s in store :)

3. Cheryl Wright on January 2nd, 2012 8:25 am

Regardless how many “old things” we have to draft into “beginning again” “starting over”, the process, the journey and the outcome is always the same – NEW.

May everything you touch and create be filled with newness, vibrancy, excitement, joy and satisfaction on every level.

4. Debra Darvick on January 2nd, 2012 12:03 pm

Cindy I can so relate. Writing doesn’t take me out of time the way making jewelry does. And words have crept into that endeavor as well. As for the blank pages, they don’t scare me any more, either. Rich with limitless possibilities they are. Wishing you a marvelous 2012.

5. starrlife on January 2nd, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh have a great year Cindy! I’m so happy that you have these strategies to stay connected!

6. joanna jenkins on January 3rd, 2012 12:34 am

You know I’m a big fan of your writing and I’m so looking forward to seeing more of your artwork.

Wishing you a happy, healthy and fulfilling 2012.

xoxoxo jj

7. Cindy on January 3rd, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks so much, every one of you, for these kind and supportive wishes. I want to add an apology for not taking time to comment as often on your wonderful blogs … Some weeks, I stop by to read your updates and stories, but I don’t leave a comment. Other weeks, I just don’t spend as much time online.

This year was bookended with hospital stays and rehab sessions for my mother, and the months in between were nothing short of draining and crazy making for me. By the end of this week, my mom will be in an assisted living residence, finally, and I hope that it will be a healthy new start for me as well as for her.

With my new freedom from parent-care — and worry — I should have more time to visit my bloggy friends. I know there will still be times when I am called to make decisions for my mother, and that I will still have to take her to various doctor appts. But knowing that she is supervised in assisted living (a mile from my home) will lift a huge emotional and physical burden from me.

8. cindy on January 3rd, 2012 11:26 am

I can feel the lightness all around you as you shift gears into 2012. Always do what you love!