It’s here!

Posted on June 21, 2011
Filed under Events & news | 9 Comments | Email This Post

Yes, summer was rituals, each with its natural time and place. The ritual of lemonade or ice-tea making, the ritual of wine, shoes or no shoes, and at last, swiftly following the others, with quiet dignity, the ritual of the front-porch swing.” -Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

It’s finally here — the first day of summer! One of my early summer rituals is re-reading favorite passages from Ray Bradbury’s Dandelion Wine.  A childhood classic, the novel is a tribute to the summer of 1928 — a summer we couldn’t possibly imagine today, given that our kids rarely entertain themselves without computers and cell phones.

In particular, I enjoy the chapter describing how Grandfather Spaulding ceremoniously retrieved the front porch swing from the basement and installed it for the summer.

What are you doing to celebrate the beginning of the season?  — CL

–Summer garden photo by Cindy La Ferle–

Comments

9 Responses to “It’s here!”

1. Cindy's Coffeehouse on June 21st, 2011 9:54 am

Well we don’t have a front porch swing, but we have a front porch bench, and it’s up most of the time. But when the weather warms up, I do enjoy an occasional morning cup of coffee on the porch, or an afternoon class of iced water.

June 21 was the birthday of my best friend from childhood. So I like to remember my wonderful friendship with Karen and how we’d “hang out” and just do nothing together during the summer.

2. Sharon on June 21st, 2011 3:02 pm

I took a friend to a favorite local drive-in sandwich place today – a summer tradition in our community.

This past fall my daughter bought me a book of Bradbury’s stories. On your advice, Cindy, I have been saving “Dandelion Wine” for now.

3. momma/mary on June 21st, 2011 5:48 pm

I too find the stories by Bradbury charming and do own a few of his books. But it took be to reach this age to find him.

4. Cindy on June 21st, 2011 6:42 pm

Cindy, that’s a birthday to celebrate, for sure! And Sharon, I love the idea of spending the first day of summer at a local drive-in. How perfect is that?

5. Alan Stamm on June 21st, 2011 7:37 pm

We enjoyed dinner and wine on our Birmingham screened back porch overlooking the vegetable garden planted a few weeks ago, floral pots and baskets and a lawn still green for now.

Songbirds trill, humidity feels semi-tropical and we hear a freight train whistle on Grand Trunk’s tracks.

I always think of camp this time of year, when long ago I was preparing for two months in the Catskills. Now I look forward to Comerica Park, bike ride and fireflies.

Thanks SO much for asking, Cindy.

6. Cindy on June 21st, 2011 9:03 pm

Alan, Sounds idyllic to me — and the perfect way to launch the season. Thanks for commenting!

7. Angie Muresan on June 23rd, 2011 8:15 am

I have never read that story, so thank you for the recommendation, Cindy. We are hoping to really enjoy the summer, as well, the old-fashioned way.

8. Cafe Pasadena on June 23rd, 2011 3:01 pm

Ray Bradbury an auther from back here in SoCalif!

Yes, summer is now here. But my question is: did spring come?

9. Becky on June 23rd, 2011 5:19 pm

Just enjoying the nice weather as long as it lasts. Happy summer!