Garden treasures

Posted on May 5, 2011
Filed under Events & news | 8 Comments | Email This Post

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.  ~Mirabel Osler

Like most people who love to garden, I’ve been by frustrated by spring’s slow arrival in Michigan. Finally, the sun rose in a cloudless sky this morning, and it was all I could do to keep from running outdoors in my pajamas to start weeding. But the soil’s still muddy, so despite the glorious sunshine, I settled for a little “indoor gardening” today.

As luck would have it, I stumbled on another wonderful vintage bird vase at an antiques emporium in Berkley this afternoon. So, I clipped a few pansies from the pots on our porch, and rounded up a few wildflower blooms from the backyard. Viola — my little bird is perched in his own garden!

I’ve collected several vintage bird vases to decorate the house in the summer months, or to use as small centerpieces for dinner parties. I can usually find them for under $10 at garage sales and flea markets. In the photo taken in my garden room, you’ll see my new treasure along with a painted birdhouse I snapped up for a song today at the same antiques shop. Please click on the photo for a larger view. –CL

Comments

8 Responses to “Garden treasures”

1. Debra Darvick on May 6th, 2011 6:38 am

Love the vase, Cindy. This is surely the spring that wasn’t! Isn’t. The Bradford pear outside my window is beginning to bloom and I wonder if the blossoms will do a double take when they open and wonder if they’ve been transported to Siberia for spring!

2. Cheryl Wright on May 6th, 2011 6:57 am

Absolutely delightful Cindy.

3. Lynne Cobb on May 6th, 2011 10:01 am

Beautiful spring photo, Cindy! I, too, took advantage of the delectable spring weather and was looking for garden and spring home fashions in Berkley, too!

4. Bridgette on May 6th, 2011 11:52 am

And that is exactly what I’m doing today :)
    Happy Mothers Day to you and your own sweet Mother.

5. Kathy Stachura on May 6th, 2011 11:57 am

Welcome back Cindy – hope you enjoyed your few days of diversion.
    Love the idea of small vases and small bouquets…it brightens up a small indoor space and leaves lots of blossoms for the garden.

6. Cafe Pasadena on May 7th, 2011 4:02 pm

Re your quotation. While it’s true, I’m afraid it I were to creep up behind anyone they might consider me a creep! :)

7. starrlife on May 8th, 2011 6:40 am

So sweet that vase and flower arrangement! Isn’t spring slow this year- it’s coming here all in pieces. The Lilacs still haven’t bloomed and sometimes they’ve bloomed right after April vaca. Hmmmmm….

8. Sharon on May 13th, 2011 9:52 am

Cindy, we’re in the same boat here. My tulips popped just this week, so spring is really late in coming to New England. Many gardeners in my town are champing at the bit to get to planting, but we’ve had so much rain that there’s more mud than dirt ~ and after sun today there is another week of showers predicted! Do May showers bring June flowers?