Extra! Read all about it

Posted on March 24, 2011
Filed under Events & news | 12 Comments | Email This Post

Filmmaking is a chance to live many lifetimes.” — Robert Altman

Some people head for the golf course in their spare time; others play tennis or bridge. But Doug and I find our fun dabbling in the arts and on movie sets. Thanks to Michigan’s tax incentives — which we’re rallying to keep — the two of us have had the opportunity to work as extras in 16 film and television productions since the fall of 2009. (If you missed the column I wrote on the topic for Patch.com, here’s the link.)

Last week, we drove to Ann Arbor to play senior staffers on the campaign trail in George Clooney’s Ides of March. I can’t begin to describe the excitement Clooney brought to southeast Michigan during the filming — especially to swooning female fans. Of course, my girlfriends wanted to know if I got to meet him … or touch the sleeve of his jacket. The answer is no, but I did see him up close, since my role as an extra involved standing a few feet from him (and clapping vigorously) while he delivered a campaign speech on stage. Clooney was a class act, sharing his trademark charm and sense of humor with everyone on set. For photos of last week’s shoot in nearby Clawson with Clooney and Ryan Gosling, click here.

We’re featured in the new AARP Bulletin

Earlier this year, Detroit journalist Maureen McDonald asked if she could write about our foray into background acting. She pitched the idea to the AARP Bulletin (yep, we’re in that age group) and you can read Maureen’s feature in the online edition in the “Job Hunting” section. I know it’s a dubious honor to be featured as an “older adult” who works as a film extra, but hey, Doug and I enjoyed being mentioned and quoted. The story includes a sidebar with tips on how to get booked as a background performer. See you in the movies! — CL

____________________

–Top photo: Doug and I dressed for a gala scene in the TV series Detroit 1-8-7.

Comments

12 Responses to “Extra! Read all about it”

1. Tara Rinaldi on March 24th, 2011 11:16 am

what a neat thing to do! A lot of standing around, I’ll bet, but fun to watch how it all gets done, and to be a small part of it. You’re giving me ideas….

2. Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs on March 24th, 2011 12:41 pm

I love this! What a fun thing to do! I’m off to ‘read all about it’ via the links you provided.

3. Mary Ellen on March 24th, 2011 2:20 pm

I love your comment about George almost as good-looking as Doug… made me smile since I know how darling Doug is – so it is the truth!!

4. starrlife on March 24th, 2011 6:05 pm

You two look gorgeous! Ahem and so does George… He can put his slippers under my bed any time :)
    I admire your boldness and creativity so much!

5. Cindy's Coffeehouse on March 24th, 2011 7:40 pm

Very impressive, Cindy!

6. Joanne on March 25th, 2011 9:19 am

Cindy, What fun!! I always enjoy reading your movie posts. Hm, the next thing you know, we’ll be seeing you on TMZ!!

7. Cafe Pasadena on March 25th, 2011 9:59 am

I wunder if Altman’s quote applies to Liz Taylor??

Looks like you guys have gone Hollywood, haha!

8. joanna jenkins on March 25th, 2011 12:29 pm

That is too cool, Cindy!!!! Up close and personal with George Clooney – Woo-hoo.

I’m off to read the AARP article– Congrats, I think it’s awesome to be featured.

Happy weekend, jj

9. Angie Muresan on March 25th, 2011 8:02 pm

You are the sweetest wife, Cindy.
    And, oh my! George Clooney is so dreamy!

10. Sharon on March 26th, 2011 10:13 pm

I hope you are able to hold onto the growing film industry in your state. Michigan seems to be dealing with a lot of the same issues with their governor that we in Maine have with ours. How could Michigan not want George to come work and stay awhile?;)

11. Bridgette on March 27th, 2011 12:15 am

You make such a lovely couple :)

12. Cindy La Ferle on March 27th, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks for all of these lovely compliments … much appreciated! And Sharon, thanks for your comments about the film industry. We’re all working very hard to keep the incentives rolling.

Along these lines, Doug and I worked in a public service commercial this weekend — with hundreds of other extras and film peeps — to rally the continuation of the incentive program here in our state. Here’s a Detroit News article about the making of the commercial:http://detnews.com/article/20110326/ENT02/103260309/Group-making-TV-ad-to-save-film-incentives … As soon as it’s finished and running, I will post a link to it here. You might catch a glimpse of Doug and me in the background :-)