Bringing Grandma back

Posted on February 27, 2011
Filed under Columns & essays | 6 Comments | Email This Post

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family.  Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.”  ~Jane Howard

It’s not always easy to be a family. For starters, our troubled job market makes it nearly impossible for relatives to live in the same community — or the same region. And even if they do live nearby, work and other obligations can make it a challenge to forge satisfying connections or offer help when it’s needed.

Earlier this month, my mother was finally sent home after spending two weeks in the hospital and another two in nursing rehab. Getting her settled has taken a team of visiting nurses and a physical therapist — and lots of family support. This week’s column in Royal Oak Patch tells the story of how my son’s surprise visit helped us “bring Grandma back.” Please click here to read it. –CL

Comments

6 Responses to “Bringing Grandma back”

1. momma/mary on February 27th, 2011 9:52 am

What a delightful and satisfying happening for both you and your mother. Your son truly knows when your family needs the added love and attention of being there. I hope your mom continues to improve after her surgery and that The whole family has her around for a while longer.

2. joanna jenkins on February 27th, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi Cindy… I’m off to read. jj

3. Stacy Post on March 1st, 2011 7:09 pm

Cindy, what a lovely article! You are lucky to have such a thoughtful son. I have a grandma with dementia and the best advice I’ve received is to just enjoy her as she is. Some days, that’s easier said than done, but even though I miss the woman my grandmother once was, I can still hug her and tell her I love her. On occasion, she’ll share a sweet memory, usually from a long time ago. But with her recall, it feels just like yesterday to her. Gather those stories and treasure them always!

4. Joanne on March 1st, 2011 7:12 pm

You have a close family, and that’s some of the beauty of it … That knowing just when to be there, to be a part of those special family times, even the difficult ones. I’m glad your son was there to help.

5. Bridgette on March 2nd, 2011 4:14 pm

So touching and so true. As I see my 2 girls reach the point that Nate has I can’t help but breathe a little sigh of relief.
    We did OK, didn’t we?

6. Cafe Pasadena on March 3rd, 2011 7:29 pm

Yes, we “need one.” Whatever that one is!