True gifts

Posted on December 19, 2010
Filed under Events & news | 6 Comments | Email This Post

The only gift is a portion of thyself” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

By this time, only the sanest among us haven’t gone Christmas-crazy. The rest of us are baking, cooking, addressing cards, planning holiday meals, shopping for holiday meals, decking the halls, scouting the malls for last-minute gifts, and trying to make cameo appearances at parties when we’d really rather pull the covers over our heads and call it a night.

This week, my Royal Oak Patch column asks you to pause to consider: Which Christmas carol best expresses the true meaning of Christmas? Please click here to read it.

Meanwhile, I’m preparing for Nate’s arrival home for the holidays. I went grocery shopping today for the Christmas meals I’ll cook this week, and right now I’m soaking raisins in whiskey for traditional Scottish bread pudding. If the new recipe turns out even better than my grandmother’s, I’ll post a photo along with the recipe here soon.

I’m sending you all my very best wishes along with heartfelt gratitude for your friendship this year. Merry Christmas! — CL

Comments

6 Responses to “True gifts”

1. joanna jenkins on December 19th, 2010 8:13 pm

What a perfect quote for the holidays. I’m saving this one to use next year in my holidays cards.

So happy to hear Nate will be home with you for Christmas. What a treat. Of course the mention of bread pudding would help nudge me home too :-)

Wishing you a wonderful holiday Cindy. I know it’s been of year of ups and downs for your family and I’m sending you all warm hugs and good wishes.

Merry Christmas, jj

2. Mary Ellen on December 20th, 2010 7:33 am

My six house guests are still sleeping this morning while I sit quietly with a cup of tea.

We still have three more days together to talk and laugh and eat!

Life is grand… Merry Christmas Cindy!

3. Cafe Pasadena on December 20th, 2010 11:49 am

Cindy, I LIked your comment on Joanne’s blog about what homes represent.

Christmas doesn’t stress me out. I enjoy some parts of it like comfort foods. But, I stay out of the untrue or material parts of it.

And the True & spiritual meaning of Christmas is NOT that 12/25 is Jesus Christ’s birth. No body really knows. It is simply a day chosen to celebrate JC’s birth.

4. cindy on December 20th, 2010 12:34 pm

That recipe sounds yummy! And have a great holiday visit with Nate;-)

5. Sharon on December 20th, 2010 9:11 pm

Merry Christmas, Cindy. Let’s ring in the New Year with all good thoughts for the year to come ~

6. Cindy on December 22nd, 2010 8:32 am

@Sharon — yes, I’m with you, my friend!

@Joanna and Mary Ellen, I know you’ll have a wonderful time no matter how you celebrate. And thanks for your warm support all year. It *has* been a tough one.

@Cafe Pasadena, you’re spot on. December 25 was deliberately chosen as JC’s “birthday” by the Catholic church to replace the rowdy winter solstice festivals celebrated by the pagan Romans before Christ. So, like most of the holidays we celebrate today in this country, the origin of Christmas was actually pagan. And look how it worked: We now make a decorated pine tree (also a pagan symbol, originally) the center of our Christmas celebration. And we drink and dance and throw lavish parties — just like the ancient pagans did. Mind you, I am not picking on the ancient pagans. I just find it amusing that much of what we do to celebrate things belonged to them initially.

All said and done, Christmas as a holiday still sends out mixed messages, in my view. We’re told to celebrate the birth of JC, yet we do so by stressing ourselves out for a month every year, and going debt after buying too many lavish presents.