Oh, winter!

Posted on December 15, 2010
Filed under Events & news | 7 Comments | Email This Post

I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape – the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter.  Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn’t show.”  ~Andrew Wyeth

Unlike artist Andrew Wyeth, I don’t “prefer” winter. I’ll never warm up to the cold reality of bundling up in gloves, boots, and an unwieldy thermal coat from December through March — though I’ve done so every year for more years than I care to recount. And I hate driving in snow.Yet I can’t deny winter’s stark, glistening beauty. Earlier this week, southeast Michigan was pounded with a heavy snowstorm, leaving us blanketed in yards of white stuff. The view outside my home office window is a veritable Currier and Ives landscape, as you’ll note in the photos I’ve posted here. Those of you who live in the south or on the west coast will be amused?  — CL

Comments

7 Responses to “Oh, winter!”

1. momma/mary on December 15th, 2010 9:14 am

On the morning of the storm my mental stop light flashed on. I was not venturing one foot out of the house. But now the driveway is plowed and the four wheel drive is engaged on the pick up so I can go out and slid with the best of them. Take care in your wanders and stay safe during this ‘Winter Wonderland’.

2. starrlife on December 15th, 2010 6:38 pm

Oh, I’m so jealous! I’m of the opinion that if it’s going to be cold than it may as well be beautiful and snowy! We’ve only gotten a dusting so far.

3. joanna jenkins on December 15th, 2010 9:08 pm

Your view is beautiful- I’m a tiny bit jealous– just a tiny bit though– Not enough to get on a plane and see it in person :-)
    Stay warm. jj

4. Cindy La Ferle on December 16th, 2010 7:43 am

Joanna,
    You’re sweet to be jealous, but I’d much rather be sitting with you in sunny LA this time of year! :-)

5. Cindy La Ferle on December 16th, 2010 7:45 am

Momma Mary, you are right to be cautious. In some parts of Oakland County, they are not plowing or salting the roads, due to budget cutbacks. I refuse to shop or dine or visit in any city that won’t make its roads safe for drivers. Luckily, they keep the streets fairly clear here in Royal Oak, so that’s where I’ll be hanging out until it thaws :-)

6. Bridgette on December 17th, 2010 12:20 am

I try, really try, to appreciate all the seasons, but the cold is my least favorite.
    I do however enjoy Andrew Wyeth’s artwork, stark as it may be.

7. Cafe Pasadena on December 18th, 2010 1:43 pm

But I don’t like winter when if feel your bone structure shivering or snap, crack, & popping!