Back, sort of …

Posted on August 22, 2010
Filed under Events & news | 8 Comments | Email This Post

“There’s nothing half so pleasant as coming home again.” — Margaret Elizabeth Sangster

Last Sunday, Doug and I drove across the state for a film shoot in Grand Rapids, then clocked nearly 60 hours of work, Monday through Friday.  Totally pooped but satisfied with our “film fix,” we drove to our summer place in St. Joseph to meet our son and his girlfriend for a short-but-sweet visit yesterday.

This morning we returned to reality in Royal Oak: a huge pile of snail mail, lots of phone messages, a painfully slow computer, and two lonely pets who’d obviously missed us.

Being a homebody, I nearly wept at the sight of my own house and garden when we pulled into the driveway today. First thing I did was call my mom, then I started attacking that bottomless pile of mail…

I’m looking forward to sharing some reflections on our latest film adventure in my new “Sunday column” on August 29. This will launch my return to a regular blogging schedule. From now on, I will post a new column/essay every Sunday. I’ll also post occasional “midweek updates,” including news on writing workshops, conferences, and other special events I’m involved in. Until then, enjoy these final days of summer freedom! –CL

– Garden photo by Cindy La Ferle –

Comments

8 Responses to “Back, sort of …”

1. Cheryl Wright on August 22nd, 2010 4:11 pm

Welcome home Cindy,

I’m counting the days to next Sunday.

Meanwhile, happy settling-back-in.

2. Jan on August 23rd, 2010 11:15 am

Coming home is WONDERFUL. May you rest up and enjoy and allow your nest to nurture you! The older I get, the nestier I become. It feels great…Enjoy, breathe, smile.

3. Sharon on August 23rd, 2010 12:24 pm

Life is good when you can enjoy a week away and be glad when you return home again. It sounds like the best of both worlds. Take your time with re-entry and enjoy the pleasures that come with that, too.

4. Kathleen Scott on August 23rd, 2010 6:06 pm

I LOVE that you’re doing film work! The more we do, the more we can and the more stories we collect.

5. Cindy La Ferle on August 23rd, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome back! I appreciate all your good thoughts, and look forward to catching up to your blogs next week. I am recovering from a nasty bug I caught in Grand Rapids last week. I didn’t realize how tired I was until I crashed at home last night.

Jan, I am taking you up on your suggestion to rest and allow the nest to nurture me. And I am enjoying your “Joy” book — just got started on it.

Kathleen, you’re so right when you say “the more we do, the more we can.” I look forward to sharing some stories/life lessons/observations from working as an extra last week. More to come …

6. cindy on August 26th, 2010 6:31 am

Your acting adventures intrigue me, can’t wait to hear about them!

7. starrlife on August 26th, 2010 7:46 pm

I’m really looking forward to reading about your adventures! I’m reading and around but seems that I am up to my ears in stuff to do and not enough time to write… Welcome home! What a great feeling- one of my favs.

8. Elizabeth Harper @ giftsofthejourney on August 29th, 2010 3:28 am

I’m looking forward to your return from your semi summer break. It sounds as if you’ve managed to sneak in a bit of fun work as well.