Vintage duds

Posted on July 11, 2010
Filed under Columns & essays, Events & news | 12 Comments | Email This Post

Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence on society.”  ~Mark Twain

I have a love-hate relationship with fashion — or, should I say, fashion trends? I’m suspicious of magazines that try to dictate what’s in and what’s out. And I resent the fashion editors and “style experts” who make me feel old or uncool or unattractive if I’m not following their advice or wearing what they advertise. (Who the heck are these people, anyway?)

Yet I’ve always adored beautifully crafted and unusual clothes, new and old.

I’m especially intrigued by vintage clothing, and for years I’ve haunted thrift shops in search of one-of-a-kind treasures to mix with my own wardrobe basics. What I enjoy most about vintage pieces is how they make an outfit totally personal — especially when combined with something classic or relatively new.

Among my favorite pieces: A vintage Christian Dior tux jacket; a way-cool military style coat with unusual detailing; and a double-breasted black polyester blazer with big buttons, circa 1975. I also own vintage scarves, belts, and evening bags — always handy for jazzing up an outfit. While some of my evening dresses from the 1920s, ’30s, and ’40s are collectibles and not entirely suitable for wearing out, I use and enjoy most of my vintage clothing.

Luckily, I have a large attic for storing my finds. And lately, some of the things I’ve collected have come in handy for my part-time work as a background extra in films.  Typically, background actors are given costume guidelines and asked to bring their own clothes to a shoot. The wardrobe department must approve our choices, or provide another option. The more clothing options we have, the more likely we are to make the production people happy — and ultimately snare more bookings. So it helps to keep a variety of clothing at the ready for this type of work.

Earlier this summer, though, Doug and I were cast in a scene calling for western wear, which sent us on a quick search for western-style shirts and cowboy hats. This isn’t the sort of attire we’d typically sport in suburban Detroit unless we were invited to a Halloween party. So thank goodness for the local thrift shops, which happened to have all kinds of affordable options.

A week later, we were booked for two scenes set in 1980s Paris.  As it happens, I own an Ungaro khaki blazer and a cool trench coat (both thrift-shop finds) from the era. I made a quick trip to the Salvation Army thrift store (during their summer sale) and picked up a couple of 1980s dresses for less than four dollars each.  I brought it all to the fitting with my vintage Chanel scarf — and voila! – the wardrobe people were duly impressed.

Whether I’m shopping for a costume or my personal wardrobe, I carefully examine thrift-shop clothing for damage before I make a purchase. I’m not an accomplished seamstress, but I’m handy with minor repairs and stain removal — and always willing to change buttons.

An added bonus: Some of the best thrift shops in my community support local charities, or are run by charitable organizations. It feels good to know that my purchases will benefit others in need. Fashion is fleeting, after all, and I’m glad I don’t have to break the bank for it.  – Cindy La Ferle

If you’re new to “thrifting” or want to learn more about vintage clothing, start with a copy of The Little Guide to Vintage Shopping, by Melody Fortier, which provides a good introduction and is one of the newer books on the topic.

Comments

12 Responses to “Vintage duds”

1. starrlife on July 11th, 2010 6:15 pm

How cool are you Cindy? Tres cool! Fashion is not my thing- I have no eye. Really I’d be happy wearing multi-colored baggy dresses to work all week! Hope things are smoothing out for you.

2. Joanne on July 12th, 2010 7:46 am

The beauty of this is that you can dress simply, in a classic style, and just add a pop of vintage … a piece of jewelry, a pair of bell bottoms, one piece that makes a complete statement. And it’s fun, too :)

3. Cindy La Ferle on July 12th, 2010 7:48 am

Spot on, Joanne! I rarely wear more than one vintage item at a time. As you said, just an accent is fun, perfect. I have several vintage jackets and wear them with newer jeans or black pants and a top — very simple. If you wear everything vintage at once, it becomes a costume. I think younger women (with a certain style) can get away with that, but I can’t :-)

4. Jenn on July 12th, 2010 8:07 am

Cindy, I do know what you mean here, I have never been one for what is in, as much as what feels ‘right’ for me and makes me feel authentic with expression. I do find it difficult to come across such items because my style is simple, and unique. I have found that starting with basic colors and then accessorizing helps create the look I love. When I do find a unique item put together how I like already, I am very surprised and if a good price, I’m in! ;) xx
    Jenn

5. Sharon on July 12th, 2010 2:12 pm

I have been so impressed with your new film career that I didn’t stop to consider that you’d also be working with wardrobe. This is great, Cindy! You have the eye to put the pieces together and the style to make it work.

6. Bridgette on July 12th, 2010 2:59 pm

Well of course they were impressed, IT WAS YOU!
    I love a basic wardrobe with special touches, I think I’ll take your advice and add a few more:)

7. Kathleen Scott on July 12th, 2010 6:00 pm

Sounds wonderful, will you do it for me? I have no fashion sense…

8. deb @ talk at the table on July 13th, 2010 3:01 pm

I love what Bridgette said !!

You are art through and through.

Hope your summer is blessing you in every way so far , Cindy.

9. Dianne Morr on July 13th, 2010 8:31 pm

Cindy, this is such a fun post! I’ve found some great pieces at resale shops, too. And it’s always so much fun to get a bargain.

10. Only the Half of It on July 17th, 2010 11:49 am

So what is the 1980s film set in Paris? Sounds fun.
    I do admire people who are willing to sift through all those racks, which is where my patience wanes.
    It’s a wonderful way to save money and, maybe more important, be green by reusing clothing that otherwise ends up in the rubbish!

11. Cindy La Ferle on July 17th, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks, all, for the lovely comments! It is always sweet to hear from you.

@Ellen: the 1980s film set was for “The Double,” and here’s a link to an article on it in the Detroit Free Press:

12. Money doesn’t equal style « cindyscoffeehouse.blog on June 14th, 2011 8:31 am

[…] My friend Cindy La Ferle, a fellow writer from Royal Oak, has one of the most put-together looks of anyone in town. And she’s not afraid to say that she loves to shop at our local resale shops for vintage clothes. […]