Backyard exhibition

Posted on July 24, 2010
Filed under Events & news | 8 Comments | Email This Post

Whether it’s classical urns or pink plastic flamingos, limestone saints or impish ceramic elves, Ionic Styrofoam pedestals or poured concrete birdbaths, you are the curator of your own backyard exhibition.” — Mary Randolph Carter

I believe a garden should be more than rows of groomed beds and well-tended flowers. Just as the interior of a home reveals the personalities of its residents, a garden can reflect the quirks and passions of the people who tend it.

My favorite gardens tend to be “decorated” in the true sense of the word. For instance, I love the little thrill I get when I explore a friend’s herb garden and discover a stone cherub with a broken wing tucked behind the parsley and basil. Or a rusty flea-market bench perched in a bed of roses.

I’m also a huge fan of weathered gates used to support tomato vines, and one-of-a-kind birdbaths crafted by local artists.  In other words, I’m a sucker for garden junk.

Like the things I’ve collected for my home over the years, most of my garden ornaments have sentimental meaning. Some don’t actually qualify as “junk,” as they were given to me as birthday gifts — including the granite Buddha (from my husband) resting in the Zen garden.

Of course, there’s always room for castoffs in my garden. When my friend Shirley moved to an apartment, she unloaded some of her own garden ornaments in my backyard. One of my favorites is the terracotta rabbit head that peeks out from a gnarled maple behind the patio.

I miss all my blogging friends this summer, but I hope you’re also outside soaking up some Vitamin D. (Remember, we can sit at our desks all winter and stare at the computer screen while the snow piles up.)

Meanwhile, I’ve been working long hours as an extra in several different film projects since June — quite a diversion from writing, blogging, and teaching! When I’m not working or looking in on my mother, I try to spend as much time as I can pulling weeds or admiring the blooms of my early summer handiwork. Here’s to summer! Cindy La Ferle

– All photos in this post were taken in my garden. Click each one for a larger view.

Comments

8 Responses to “Backyard exhibition”

1. joanna jenkins on July 24th, 2010 8:34 pm

Hey Cindy, Nice of you to check in. I’m a big fan of garden junk too and love spotting things in gardens when I take my daily walk.

Can’t wait to hear about the movies you’re working on. I know that’s always so much fun for you.

I hope your Mom is feeling good.

Take care my friend and ENJOY the sun!

xo jj

Ps Stop by if you have time. I have a new giveaway.

2. Bridgette on July 25th, 2010 6:24 pm

Hello friend, it’s so good to hear from you:)
    My yard and garden are filling in with things I love, and I make time each and every day to go outside and enjoy them!
    You have probably seen the pics of the front porch, complete with rockers and places to set a cold drink.
    The backyard is where my true love resides, a comfy patio swing that the Mr. and sit on and to survey our bounty.
    I collect old galvanized tubs and such to corral my plantings, filling them with geraniums and marigolds, bacopa and lobelia.
    These are ” the good old days.”
    Glad we are enjoying them together.

3. Sharon on July 27th, 2010 8:19 am

Cindy, I so enjoy seeing pictures of your yard and gardens. You have created an oasis of calm. Garden “junk” adds points of interest, which gives me food for thought for my own yard. Enjoy these summer days!

4. Kathleen Scott on July 28th, 2010 2:38 pm

Yard art! You know we favor that here in Texas. The pictures almost don’t qualify as yard art; too refined. Maybe if you add your pink flamingo?

Glad your summer is good. Gardening will store up summer living in your heart.

5. Cindy on July 28th, 2010 3:51 pm

Kathleen — I have a lot of yard art that isn’t photographed here. But you’re right … these aren’t original enough :-)

6. cindy on August 1st, 2010 10:10 am

loved these peeks into your garden, and am with you on spending more time out of doors and less time on screen…

7. starrlife on August 8th, 2010 8:05 am

Love these so much! Glad to see that there are some re-charging opportunities for you!

8. Carla Temple on July 17th, 2011 4:46 pm

Hey Cindy ~ Thx for the note about the pic of the garden “sphere”. It looks lovely. I hope this heat wave we have all week isn’t headed to DTW. But it beats the sub0zeros, so I’m not complaining. Say hi to Doug. xox Love ya CT