Background!

Posted on April 26, 2010
Filed under Events & news, Just for writers | 30 Comments | Email This Post

Movies are like an expensive form of therapy for me.” — Tim Burton

Most people who work in creative fields are jockeying to land a leading role, a front-page story, or first prize in an art competition. Aiming high, we usually compete for the spotlight. We’re all trying to make it in a culture that worships overnight success and holds its collective breath for the latest American Idol winner.

So, who’d want to work long, repetitive hours as a background extra in films? Who’d get a kick out of working for little more than minimum wage and a few fleeting seconds of screen time?

Lots of people. And I’m one of them.

Thanks to Michigan’s new film incentive program, Hollywood has been sending a variety of productions to our state, creating thousands of new jobs for labor, crew, and actors.

My first gig as a background extra in a feature film began on a lark last fall — another item on my bucket list. Along with my husband Doug and several of our neighbors, I was cast in the opening scene of the big-budget Red Dawn remake when our own neighborhood was used as a film set. Humvees and assorted army vehicles rolled down our tree-lined suburban streets while a troop of gun-wielding Communist soldiers took us captive. It was a total blast, literally and figuratively, and some of us were called back to work in additional scenes in Detroit.

Doug and I had so much fun, in fact, that we registered with a couple of casting agencies, and have worked in several more projects. Among our favorites was the soon-to-be-released Lifetime TV movie, Secrets in the Walls, in which we were cast as a doctor and a nurse in a hospital scene. As Doug likes to joke, “Now I can finally tell people, ‘No I am not a real doctor, but I played one on TV.”

Now that we’re listed with casting agencies, the toughest part is learning to deal with the unpredictability. We might get a call or an e-mail inquiring about our availability a week (or a day) before a particular shoot. At that point, we must commit to a time frame — with no immediate guarantee that we’ll be booked for the job. We’re usually left hanging until the casting agents confirm our roles and send additional details. The agents aren’t being coy or cruel — they’re also waiting for a schedule from the production people.

So it can be hard to plan your life around this sort of work. Last-minute bookings¬† — and production schedule changes — aren’t unusual. Last year, Doug got an emergency call from a casting agent, asking him to pack a sports jacket and drive immediately to Ann Arbor to cover for another extra who couldn’t show up on the set that morning. (He made it in record time.)

Lights, camera …

Pay rates vary, depending on each film’s budget. As a rule, hourly pay is rarely much more than minimum wage, so I wouldn’t advise anyone interested in this work to consider quitting your day job or ditching your best freelance clients. There’s always a chance that your 15 seconds of “face time” will end up on the proverbial cutting room floor, anyway.

But there are untold rewards, especially if you love movies as much as I do. For starters, background extras get a rare look behind the scenes and a chance to learn more about filmmaking. This takes most of the glitter out of the stardust, yet you can’t help but return home with a deeper respect for the hard work and long hours invested in any given film project. You meet some of the nicest people too — everyone from legal administrators to retired engineers and stay-at-home dads will show up for work. And yes, sometimes you do rub elbows with celebrities.

For me, film work provides an interesting contrast to my (real-life) role as a professional writer. Writers are often loners out of necessity — but we enjoy company too. Working in a film, I enjoy the same rush of adrenaline and camaraderie I used to get when I was in theater years ago. I thrived on the nervous hum of activity backstage while the crew geared up and my fellow actors prepped for their scenes.

Last week I worked as a background extra in an HBO television series. I was waiting for my cue from an assistant director half my age when it hit me that this sort of work is both humbling and freeing.

No matter which production I’m working for, I know I’m just a very small part of a much bigger picture. I have no lines to memorize or deliver, and mugging for the camera is strictly prohibited. Unlike writing a story — where I’m in creative control and get my own byline — I’m merely fulfilling someone else’s vision while working as an extra. My role in a film might be as simple as running across the street from an explosion, singing hymns in a church, working at a desk, hanging around the town square, or standing in a corner with a drink in hand.

Years ago, I worked with a director who liked to remind everyone on stage that “there are no small parts, just small actors.” And that’s still terrific advice for every performer.

But hey, I’m not going to get rich or famous working as a background extra. It’s honorable work, and while I’m on set, I take it seriously. I show up on time and follow the instructions I’m given to the letter. Yet I know I won’t be discovered and given a one-way ticket to Hollywood. And I’m really OK with that. This is teamwork. This is what I do for fun. – Cindy La Ferle

Top photo: I’m on the right, hamming it up with Laurie and Bryan Valko, fellow background extras, after getting fitted for a hospital scene in Secrets in the Walls, a Lifetime TV thriller scheduled to air this fall. Middle photo: My husband Doug (left) posting with background extra Vong Lee, the Communist soldier who held us captive on the set of Red Dawn in our Royal Oak neighborhood last year. Bottom Photo: One of several head shots I use for background extra gigs.

Comments

30 Responses to “Background!”

1. Nancy on April 26th, 2010 10:40 am

I’ll best you are having a blast. I would LOVE to do this too, but haven’t a clue where to begin … perhaps wait until a Commie in a Humvee comes rolling into my ‘hood? ;)

You are rockin’ the scrubs … Grey’s may be in your future … and Doug? A “Mc” doctor too!

2. Leslie Wyman on April 26th, 2010 11:15 am

Hey Cindy- thanks for this post! I have been wondering about the realities of your new pastime and this draws a complete picture for me. You and Doug look adorable in the snapshots, and, what could be more fun than finding a common interest to share with your partner? Way to go!

3. Joanne on April 26th, 2010 12:36 pm

Well I must say, you certainly know how to have fun! What exciting ventures these sound like. And I kind of like the spontaneity of getting that call, and the different roles that come up. And it sounds like, in some way, it even can expand your understanding of writing at the same time.

4. Jae Burnham on April 26th, 2010 1:20 pm

Having lived in LA for almost 20 yrs I a little familiar movies being made. I know and have a few friends that actually make a good living working as movie extras, and sometimes they get to travel as well.

5. Bridgette on April 26th, 2010 4:12 pm

Well look at you, a woman of many talents!

6. Cindy La Ferle on April 26th, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks, Bridgette … but I think it’s more accurate to say I am a woman of many interests — and crazy enough to try almost anything :-)

7. deb on April 26th, 2010 7:54 pm

You rock , Cindy!

and I do think it’s a brilliant way to spend time together as a couple.

the spontaneity must be like a little rush, adding excitement to the whole process.

thanks for sharing all the pictures . You radiate .

8. Kitty on April 26th, 2010 8:43 pm

This sounds like so much fun. :D

9. Sharon on April 27th, 2010 1:37 pm

This was fun – a behind the scenes look at your work behind the scenes.

10. cindy on April 27th, 2010 1:38 pm

cindy, I knew about Red Dawn but not the other shows. This is so cool.

11. joanna jenkins on April 27th, 2010 1:45 pm

YEAH YOU! What a fun thing to do! I’ve read about all the filming in Michigan lately and think it’s GREAT (although don’t tell that to my fellow Californians). I’ll be watching the background for you!!!
    Keep up the good work. You never know when it might be time for YOUR close-up :-)
    jj

12. Cindy La Ferle on April 27th, 2010 3:33 pm

Cindy H — I’ve worked in four productions so far. It’s been loads of fun, and I have learned something new and different from each one.

13. Angie Muresan on April 28th, 2010 12:03 am

That’s so cool, Cindy! I do hope to see you in something soon, closely watching the background.

14. Mary Ellen on April 29th, 2010 10:24 am

Oh what fun! You found a new way to play!

15. Mama Zen on April 29th, 2010 1:20 pm

How fun!

16. Janita Gaulzetti on April 29th, 2010 4:52 pm

Cindy – I loved this piece! You said it all for the hundreds of crazy movie lovers that do this. Hope to see you on set soon!

17. giftsofthejourney (Elizabeth Harper) on May 1st, 2010 4:19 am

The pictures and words seem so familiar as they reflect a part of my past too. I have a picture of me in scrubs from when I played a doctor in an industrial training film. With a degree in drama education, I built a career in pharma sales, but worked as an actor on the side. I started with extra work when I moved from stage to camera and have many stories regarding those days. Interestingly, even though I did a few day player things where I was a principal on camera with more visibility, it was in an extra scene with Kevin Kline and Forest Whitaker that you can see me long enough to pick me out of the scene. My work in Georgia and Alabama was more related to commercials and industrials, but I did show up in a night time soap filmed there too.

Have you considered moving up from extra work to auditioning for larger roles? It might be fun for you.

Hmm, I feel a blog post coming on.

18. Cindy La Ferle on May 1st, 2010 7:58 am

Elizabeth — that is so cool. I didn’t know that about you. As someone else commented on another post, it’s amazing how much we get to know about each through blogging, isn’t it? I can’t wait for your post about your acting career!

I have thought about auditioning for speaking roles in film … I did a lot of work in theater years ago, as hinted in this post, and often had good speaking parts. I loved it. But there is a lot of work involved in auditioning and it’s a part-time job just keeping abreast of what’s available out there. And competition is fierce, making it twice as much work to stay in the game.

19. starrlife on May 4th, 2010 5:00 am

Love the pics and the energy that you bring to life! Now I must find out which HBO series that you will be on- In Treatment perhaps? Enquiring minds…

20. Cindy La Ferle on May 6th, 2010 9:11 am

I will keep you all posted on the HBO series, out next fall :-)

21. Howard Byrne on May 6th, 2010 12:19 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth, Cindy. And, most of all, I always seem to be smiling after an 11 1/2 hour day on the set somewhere.

22. Cindy's Coffeehouse on May 6th, 2010 7:59 pm

Cindy, I’m just catching up again on my favorite blogs, and I loved this post. I think what you and Doug are doing is great fun, and, of course, it’s yet another way to communicate.

By the way, I loved this phrase from your blog: “This takes most of the glitter out of the stardust.” However, from your post, I can tell that you still like the stardust — even without the glitter!

23. Fair-weather friend | Cindy La Ferle's Home Office on July 11th, 2010 3:03 pm

[…] summer coax me out to my garden and the bike trails, it also brings more opportunities to work as a background extra in films. (So far, I have four bookings for shoots in June and […]

24. Cindy La Ferle on July 11th, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks so much, everyone, for these great comments! I’m especially tickled to read remarks and kudos from fellow background actors who’ve been working at this for a while.

Howard, I like the way you said you find yourself smiling after a day on set!

As of early July, I’ve worked on 8 different film projects since beginning this adventure 10 months ago. It’s wonderful for Michigan that we have so many films in production in our state, as they provide employment for so many people — not just actors.

25. Vintage duds | Cindy La Ferle's Home Office on July 11th, 2010 3:43 pm

[…] lately, some of the things I’ve collected have also come in handy for my part-time work as a background extra in films.¬† Typically, background actors are given guidelines and asked to bring their own clothes […]

26. Only the Half of It on July 17th, 2010 11:44 am

Awesome! I would LOVE to do this as soon as my schedule is more permitting. I see the mad scientist photo is not new. Love it.
    E

27. Cindy La Ferle on July 17th, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks, all, for your supportive comments! Ellen, the photo was taken this spring.

28. Driving out of my comfort zone | Cindy La Ferle's Home Office on August 29th, 2010 7:51 am

[…] — or tiptoeing — beyond my comfort zone. But wasn’t that one of the reasons why I’d signed on to work as a film extra last year?¬† Feeling cooped up in my newly emptied nest, I had hoped to get out there and meet some […]

29. Halloween “Secrets” | Cindy La Ferle's Home Office on October 22nd, 2010 2:27 pm

[…] TV set, watching the premiere of Secrets in the Walls, a Lifetime horror film in which we worked as background extras last fall. If our brief appearance didn’t land on the cutting room floor, you’ll catch […]

30. Extra! Read all about it | Cindy La Ferle's Home Office on March 24th, 2011 10:21 am

[…] good sports, even in our younger years. These days we find our fun dabbling in the arts — and on movie sets. Thanks to Michigan’s tax incentives — which we’re rallying to keep — the […]