Circus of life

Posted on March 29, 2010
Filed under Poems to inspire | 13 Comments | Email This Post

Damn everything that won’t get into the circle.” — e.e. cummings

I’ve been a fan of the big top as far back as I can remember. It was the highlight of every spring when I was child. Later, as a local freelance reporter, I was thrilled when I was assigned to interview the lion tamer when the traveling Shrine Circus came to town.

And I love how E.E. Cummings (also spelled e.e. cummings) uses the circus as a metaphor for a rich and juicy life — a life bursting with color, sparkle, muscle, and magic.

In another poem in this series, Rumi reminded us to seat ourselves next to our own joy. Along these lines, Cummings rallies against the safe and the dull. His poem is a warning against those who run around putting holes in other people’s balloons. So let’s hear three cheers for the risk-takers and joy lovers — for the fearless ones who dance on the tightrope of life. – CL

Damn everything but the circus!
By E.E. Cummings

…damn everything that is grim, dull,
motionless, unrisking, inward turning,
damn everything that won’t get into the
circle, that won’t enjoy, that won’t throw
its heart into the tension, surprise, fear
and delight of the circus, the round
world, the full existence…

– Reprinted from E.E. Cummings: Complete Poems: 1904 – 1962; Liveright; Revised Edition; 1994

– Detail from “Damn everything but the circus!” (an altered book) by Cindy La Ferle –

Comments

13 Responses to “Circus of life”

1. Joanne on March 29th, 2010 10:00 am

Oh to throw our hearts into a full existence! That thought alone energizes in so many ways, and as I sit here with a window beside me, it affects even the vision of things I see. It’s interesting how “heart” can even do that, infuse our vision … To know life so passionately is rewarding indeed.

2. Angie Muresan on March 29th, 2010 10:36 am

I am a fan of living fully and thoroughly every moment of every day.

3. deb on March 29th, 2010 12:06 pm

Amen to that.
    Perfect advice for this spring fever time of year… time to maybe out the old comfort zone, bring in the new and who knows .

I will admit though, to only going to one Shriner’s circus in Montreal , when I was very small . My aunt spent most of the time with me in a lobby of some sorts, apparently many parts of it terrified me.

4. Kitty on March 29th, 2010 8:53 pm

“for the fearless ones who dance on the tightrope of life”

That’s us!

5. starrlife on March 30th, 2010 8:31 pm

Here Here….. sounds like someone is rallying!

6. Bridgette on March 31st, 2010 12:06 am

Perfectly said! And we should all ask ourselves, is there any other way?

7. Cindy La Ferle on March 31st, 2010 8:27 am

Isn’t it a great little poem? So glad you’re all enjoying it! Oh — and if you take another look at the poem — as a shape — you’ll see that the lines form a half circle, on the right margin, hinting at “the round world” and the rings of the circus.

8. Kathleen Scott on March 31st, 2010 12:03 pm

Cindy that’s the most wonderful perfect poem for spring. I’ll be saying ‘Start the Circus’ now and thinking of you every time I leave my garage. Our roadsides are dappled with wildflowers now and it’s hard to drive without stopping to marvel. Thanks for sharing e.e.cummings and for sharing your own fearless joy-loving self.

9. Cheryl Wright on April 1st, 2010 9:22 am

No way am I walking the tightrope of life, but I’ll be damned if I don’t snuggle up to my joy, play with my passion and inspire others to find their passions and pursue and live their dreams.

10. cindy on April 1st, 2010 10:09 am

Great poem, Cindy! I love the circus, too, the metaphorical one and the actual.

11. Circus thrills | Cindy La Ferle's Home Office on April 2nd, 2011 5:57 pm

[…] poop and cotton candy to the rowdy roar of the crowd … what’s not to love about the circus? The souvenir program says it best: “The Wonder! The Magic!” – Photos by Cindy La […]

12. Tony Amico on February 28th, 2012 2:59 am

I have a collage of very old circus posters circa 20s and 30s painted over with oil paintings of several gost clowns with the pome Damn Everthing But the Circus painted on it and the wouds Damn Everthing but the Circus kind of hidden under the entire painting and signed by e.e. cummings. Do you know anything about this painting?? Tony

13. Cindy on February 28th, 2012 7:53 am

Tony,
    Sorry — but don’t know anything about it.