Victoria magazine

Posted on February 17, 2010
Filed under Events & news, Just for writers | 18 Comments | Email This Post

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.” — Walter Elliott

Speaking at a writers’ conference last year, a magazine editor fielded questions from an eager audience. Inevitably, a new freelance writer asked, “What does it take to break into national magazines now?” The editor’s answer: “Good old-fashioned perseverance.”

It’s true what they say about perseverance. It really pays off. So I’m sharing the following news not in the spirit of boasting — but to remind you to stay the course and keep trying, whatever goals or dreams you’re pursuing.

Several times over the past decade, I’ve tried to break into Victoria, one of my favorite shelter magazines. In the meantime, I published pieces in other national glossies and kept submitting new work, but the Victoria byline eluded me. (The magazine folded in 2004, then resumed publication in 2007.)

Over a year ago, I wrote a garden essay from threads of a talk I gave at a regional Master Gardener Society meeting. With high hopes, I submitted “The Art of Midlife Gardening” to Victoria. And then I waited.

Months passed — which isn’t unusual in this line of work — and I nearly forgot about the piece. So you can imagine how thrilled I was when Victoria‘s managing editor contacted me last year to ask if it was still available for publication in the March/April 2010 issue. That issue is now on the stands, and my essay’s on the back page. When I found a copy today at our local Barnes & Noble, I did a little happy dance right there in the magazine aisle. –CL

Comments

18 Responses to “Victoria magazine”

1. Joanne on February 17th, 2010 4:57 pm

A huge Congratulations to you, I’m raising my coffee cup in a cheering toast!! Oh that perseverance can accomplish so much as we journey this path. We’ve got a Barnes & Noble here in town, and on my next trip out, I’ll definitely look for this issue. And I’ll do a happy dance in your honor :)

2. Mfary Ellen on February 17th, 2010 5:08 pm

How exciting Cindy! When I go out tomorrow, I will make a book store stop and treat myself to a copy to enjoy!

3. starrlife on February 17th, 2010 6:32 pm

WooHooo! You are the wo-man~ I’m looking for the mag!

4. Bridgette on February 17th, 2010 8:36 pm

Something to look forward to!

5. Cheryl Wright on February 17th, 2010 8:37 pm

Congratulations Cindy. Way to go girlfriend!

I plan on going to the mall on Saturday. Once I find the magazine, I’ll definitely and unashamedly do my version of the writer’s happy dance in your honor.

6. deb on February 17th, 2010 8:46 pm

Something to read on the plane ….

Cheers to you my beautiful persevering friend!!

7. Christi from Charm & Grace on February 17th, 2010 10:01 pm

This post gave my spirits an exuberant lift! I, too, have had dreams of writing for Victoria. But, I haven’t pursued it. Good for you. I e-mailed you privately and would love it if you wanted to share your story on my blog.

Warmly,
    Christi

8. joanna jenkins on February 18th, 2010 1:59 am

WOO-HOO Cindy! I’m thrilled for you. I’m headed to the newsstand first thing tomorrow for my copy.

Congratulations!
    jj

9. Cindy La Ferle on February 18th, 2010 8:13 am

Thanks so much! I was told the March/April issue wouldn’t be on the stands until February 23, but I found it yesterday at B&N, so I’d imagine it would be elsewhere too.

And I have to add: It feels so good to be able to share my excitement with all of you here. I used to hold back from sharing my writing victories for fear that I would appear boastful, or worse, that others simply wouldn’t care. But as another friend told me, “Why wouldn’t we share our promotions, victories, or happiness with our friends?” I so appreciate your caring.

10. debra darvick on February 18th, 2010 9:25 am

YAY CINDY! BRAVA! What terrific news. You are so right. One foot after another, never giving up and there you are in the pages of Victoria! I shall get a copy on my next trip out. Congratulations, my friend. A well-deserved turn of events.

11. Angie Muresan on February 18th, 2010 12:41 pm

Oh Cindy! That is so exciting! Congratulations!! I am heading out to Barnes and Nobles now. Can’t wait to read it!
    I love Victoria too, by the way.

12. Rhiannon Banda on February 19th, 2010 10:35 am

I love this! So short and sweet and incredible. Congrats to you :) This is motivational and inspiring Cindy!!

13. Jenn on March 19th, 2010 5:04 pm

Cindy! this post was so refreshing! I am so glad that I found it! I adore you and Victoria magazine!! haha ;) so this is super-duper cool! I wonder if it is still out! If so, I will get a copy next time I go to Barnes and Noble, hopefully this week! I wanted to say also, I am such a quotes gal and I am so moved by the quotes you use on your blogs and want to say thank you! This one encouraged me so much and I am reminding myself to think small and pour my heart into it so it spills over with love and then it will be so beautiful! So, thank you for this reminder that all is well! ;) hugs, Jenn
    p.s. I find your site to be a pocket of sunshine! So thankful to have found you!

14. Charlene Handford Barlow on June 7th, 2010 9:45 am

I have several back copies of Victoria Magazine that I would like to give (not sell) to someone who would appreciate them. They are Dec. 199, Dec. 1997; Nov. 1998; May, July, August, October, and November 2000, and Sept./Oct. 2009. Contact me via e-mail.

15. Nancy on June 12th, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello, I see you have some back issues of Victoria magazine. I was looking for an article in the January/February 2009 issue about Le Faux a cottage rental covered in that issue – here is a link to the cottage website: http://www.lefauxmendocino.com/magazine.html

Do you know how I could get a copy of that article?

Thanks,
    Nancy

16. Bruce McCormick on July 1st, 2010 4:04 pm

Charlene, I am very interested in getting a copy of the Dec 1997 Victoria. It has a picture of a white lace dress that I bought for my then betrothed somewhere between pages 70 and 85.

I posted this once before, but it “disappeared”. Is there a reason why??

You can contact me at 805.722.2183 or brucem@mail.org

17. Cindy on July 1st, 2010 4:46 pm

Sorry Bruce. Not sure why it disappeared. Not sure you will get many people who’ll respond to your request here, but I hope you find the issue you are looking for. CL

18. Bruce McCormick on July 3rd, 2010 9:45 pm

Cindy,

Thanks for posting my request for the Dec 1997 issue.

Charlene Handford Barlow above said she had the issue I would like to obtain and it said to contact her by email, but she doesn’t give an email address. Do know how I can contact her, or (if I my impose) could you contact her for me if she doesn’t want to give out her email address??

Thanks for your help.