Now on exhibit

Posted on April 1, 2009
Filed under Events & news | 9 Comments | Email This Post

naturecover

“A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.” — Henry David Thoreau

While I’m taking a break this week, I wanted to share a small piece of good news with you…. Earlier this month, I was honored to learn that one of my altered books, “Nature,” was chosen for inclusion in the annual Michigan Fine Arts Competition at the Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center.

For me, there has always been a mystical connection between writing and art — just as there is a connection between my gardening and cooking. Like many of my altered art and mixed media projects, “Nature” was inspired by a favorite work of literature — in this case, Thoreau’s Walden.  It was crafted from an old children’s board book and rebound with the cover of a turn-of-the-century leather insurance ledger from a thrift shop. The cardboard pages in the book are collaged and embellished with ephemera, nature quotes, and found objects collected from flea-market visits and, of course, nature walks. The exhibit runs through April 17. For more information, click here. — CL

Comments

9 Responses to “Now on exhibit”

1. Sara on April 1st, 2009 1:23 pm

Congrats Cindy! This is great news. I am so glad that you shared it with me. Bravo!

2. Joanne on April 1st, 2009 5:18 pm

Congratulations! Your “Nature” is so inspiring, both in concept and visually. I love your blending of the arts. Best wishes in the competition, be sure to let us know how it does.

3. starrlife on April 1st, 2009 6:24 pm

Wow- congratulations!!How cool is that? I love that quote and that writing and creating is so important to you. Thanks.

4. Sharon on April 1st, 2009 9:33 pm

This is quite an honor and it means that many will be able to enjoy your art. I am so happy for you!

5. Patricia on April 1st, 2009 9:37 pm

“commence living on its hint” I like that quote. It is what books do for us. Congratulations on the honor.

6. cindy harrison on April 2nd, 2009 7:28 am

I would lov eto see this exhibit!

7. Kitty on April 2nd, 2009 7:02 pm

Your artwork with “found” items is so evocative. And that competition/exhibit looks like a lot of fun.

8. Cindy on April 4th, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi all!
    Thanks so much for your encouragement and kind words. To me, one of the happiest things about midlife is that we start to feel we have “permission” — and time — to explore other parts of ourselves.

I have been away for the past week, and apologize for missing everyone’s news and blog posts. It will take me a little while to catch up, but now you know why … all best, Cindy La Ferle

9. jackieb on June 3rd, 2009 8:39 pm

VEry cool altered book. Congrats on your inclusion in exhibit.

Always an inspiration to us altered artists.